Thursday, August 05, 2004

A Unique Guy

I missed two successive Sundays at CrossBridge, and I mean I really missed them. I know there are wonderful communities of faith all over the globe, both in and out of my particular tradition. For me, at least, there's no place like [my] home [church]. I haven't always been able to say that, eventhough I've been the preacher at "my home church" since 1985.

There are many reasons why I feel this way--and why others feel this way about their special community. One of the primary reasons is my good friend and ministerial colleague, Greg Miles. I've got to brag about my brother just a little.

Greg holds down a very responsible position at AmSouth bank. Most folk are amazed that Greg is not a paid staff member at CrossBridge, especially in light of all that he's involved in with LifeSong, the music ministry here. It was his leadership, inspired by the Zoe worship conference several years ago, that brought into existence LifeSong. Since LifeSong's debut in January 2000, CrossBridge has morphed into a community of sincere seekers of God. All glory is God's for this, of course. But, Greg has allowed God to use him.

Since the inception of LifeSong, Greg has led worship here on a weekly basis. He puts together astonishing ppt presentations for each weeks worship, keeps LifeSong's repertoire continually growing, insures that LifeSong is ready each week via a midweek practice and Sunday morning sound check (he usually beats me to the building each Sunday). On top of these--and other--weekly ministry responsibilities, LifeSong, under his capable leadership, has produced three CDs. Each of these has a professional quality to them that expresses Greg's commitment to excellence.

And, did I mention that LifeSong is "an aside" for Greg? Amazing!

Let me tell you a little about his heart. If there is a song that captures the essence of Greg's desire, it would be "The Heart of Worship" (I hope that's the actual title to this song.) For Greg, his ministry is "not about him," it's "all about God." In fact, he's probably going to be really embarassed by this blog. Sorry Greg.

Over the years he's been a great support to me. I really want him to know how much I love and appreciate him. I also hope that others in the kingdom will have the opportunity to be blessed by Greg and LifeSong.

BTW, this blog was inspired by my having a great lunch with Greg today. It's always an encouragement to eat a burger or some hot wings and fries with such a great friend.

1 comment:

Garry Brantley said...

Exactly the type of response I expected from you, my good brother.