Friday, August 06, 2004

Seeking His Face

Over the past several years, I’ve appreciated the change in nomenclature among folks in my Christian tribe. As a child, I don’t recall hearing phrases like, “Holy Spirit Reign” or “Praise Jesus,” or “We want to know You,” or “Guide us with Your Spirit.” Perhaps these were basic thoughts among the community, and I simply failed to grasp them. What I do recall is much talk about “Scriptural” things.

Whenever a question about methodology or a hypothetical situation was considered, the primary expressed concern was “Is it scriptural?” This concern actually exhibited a healthy appreciation for God’s written word, which I equally share. I’ve learned through experience and continued formal study, however, that “scriptural” can be an elastic term, having a diversity of meanings. One’s hermeneutical orientation typically determines its basic meaning. So, I’ve learned that we humans tend to navigate toward a “hermeneutic of hubris,” one that actually supports our understandings, rather than challenging them. As Richard Hughes, et.al., cogently wrote in The Worldy Church, the real challenge is not to stand “on the word,” but “under the word.” Sacred hermeneutics, or biblical interpretation, then, is not so much about interpreting scripture as it is allowing scripture to interpret us. For me, this is more than a neat twist in phraseology; it is the real task of every reader of scripture.

What prompted me to take the preceding brief glance down a long, twisting path that literally spans centuries is the change in nomenclature that I mentioned at the beginning of this blog. While formerly I would hear people wondering about the “Scripturality” of something, I now hear folk wondering if someone has been “guided by the Spirit” into a particular ministry, task, or move. I must say, that the latter moves closer to the real essence of Christianity, at least as far as language goes. But, I must wonder if the only real change has been linguistic, rather than attitudinal?

While some of us now understand that being “Scriptural” can be nothing more than one’s selfish (dare I say, Pharisaical) positions buttressed by a litany of passages that gives the appearance of biblical guidance, must we not bring our new lingo under equal scrutiny? Is it possible that “being guided by the Spirit” can shroud the same selfish (dare I say, Pharisaical) posture with a new linguistic cloak?

I’ve wondered lately about my own sense of “seeking God’s face.” Several years ago, Miranda, our youngest daughter (now 9 yrs. old) highlighted an often-overlooked dimension to this essential concept. She was still young enough to be in a car seat. While driving in our minivan with Carol, my wife, Miranda was talking to her mother. Being the conscientious mother—and driver—that she is, Carol kept her eyes straight on the road, occasionally glancing at Miranda in the rear view mirror. This simply did not satisfy our daughter. Miranda’s tone built into a near scream. “Mom! Mom!” Miranda yelled with frustration in her voice. “What sweetie?” Carol replied with equal frustration. “I’m listening!” Unsatisfied, Miranda responded, “But you’re not listening with your face!”

Hmmm. Not listening with your face. Does God feel that way about those of us who now speak of “being guided by Him?” How often have I laid out strategic plans for my life, or ministry, and only paid lip service to “seeking his face?” Has God only seen my eyes in a rear view mirror as I drive my life’s minivan along a self-chosen highway? I wonder if God ever feels like we aren’t listening to Him with our faces. You see if we truly are seeking God’s face, He should see more than the backs of our heads as we go about our activities all the while pleading his blessings on them.

Oh Lord, give us the grace to come squarely face to face with you…and listen. Guide us, O God with your Spirit into realms yet unknown. And start with me!


1 comment:

Garry Brantley said...

Exactly, brother. Exactly.