Tuesday, August 03, 2004

HTML and Christian Linguistics

I've been blogging for several months now, and have enjoyed this casual format for posting--and reading--rambling thoughts. Having become more relaxed with posting blogs, I ventured into the untested waters of html (which, I think, stands for hyper text markup language--or something like that). I set sail into this linguistic deep because I wanted to add additional links to my blogsite, and to post links to other blogsites on my sidebar menu. After several frustrating attempts, I finally was able to create a new heading for other blogs and provide a link to those sites.

Feeling pretty confident of my ability to manipulate templates, I succumbed to the temptation to change templates. After all, in our postmodern age, change is the name of the game. I just didn't feel like my previous template was striking enough. So, I chose this current template, republished the blog, and viola, I've got a new look.

I ignored the warning that changing blogs would remove all personalized items from my page. With my new understanding of html, I certainly would be able to recreate all of my links. That was Sunday. It's now Tuesday...and I don't have a clue how to recreate them. The html of the new template, while similar, has some peculiarities. The commands within the little <> and " or /= are slightly different. And, I'm frustrated. I want to go back to my old template where I was more comfortable in manipulating the html!

Change. I understand why we resist it. Like many folk, I like to be in familiar territory--it makes me feel a little more in charge. I don't have to consider new methods. I don't have to burn brain cells contemplating the implications of new insights. After all, I've already devoted much time and energy to learning the "old ways!"

In this frustration, however, I'm learning something about the call of the church to our current culture. I wonder to what extent our accepted Christian jargon seems like "Greek" or worse still "html" to our culture? We speak of grace, love, redemption, atonement, communion, baptism, etc., all of which means at least something to us. I wonder what these concepts communicate to our world? Without doubt, people--even Christian folk--need to be moved into this important language, Christian html, if you will. For, until we get there, our Christian walk will be superficial indeed. In our current cultural situation, however, the church needs to be the living interpretation of these underlying concepts. We need not first speak of grace, and redemptive love, but demonstrate them. When this happens, perhaps more folk will want to venture into the deeper waters of our language.

We'll, I've just talked myself into giving this new template another try. If it looks funny for a few days, just know this novice is tinkering with the template.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey broham,

I am impressed! You have done a great job! You can see what happened to my blog when I decided to customize--it got away from me. I need to work on it some more. I may steal your template!

Brad

Garry Brantley said...

Thanks, guys. Great to hear from you all. Broham, thanks especially for your encouragement. Afterall, you're the one who got me blogging in the first place!