Monday, August 16, 2004

Blogged Down...I Thought

Yesterday (Sunday, August 15) was one of those days that I will never forget. As usual, LifeSong, led by Greg Miles, ushered me into the transforming presence of God. Lynn Gurganus, Dustin Marchan, and Clark Ogle contributed to this holy experience by their words.

Several folks asked prayers from their brothers and sisters, and Victoria Gargiulo was baptized by her dad, Richard. My heart was full...and God wasn't finished.

My oldest son, Allen, walked down front and threw his arms around me. Intuitively, I knew why he came. Yesterday was his last Sunday at CrossBridge before we take him to Oklahoma Christian University to begin his studies there this fall. It's as if we couldn't let go of one another. In his ear, I asked if he wanted to say something to the church. "If it's o.k.," he replied. "Of course, it is," I said with a broken voice.

He walked to the podium with me, motioned to Carol and his brothers and sisters to join him, and he began to speak. He thanked this community for loving him through the years. He thanked Carol and me for our love. That's about all I heard. It's as if my ears filled with the tears streaming down my cheeks.

These tears were not of disappointment, but of tremendous love for a young man whom I have had the privilege of watching grow in the Lord these past 18 years. I will miss him, therefore, I cried. At the same time, however, I am so very proud of this young man and anticipate seeing what God will do through him. So, yesterday was indeed a holy moment in the Lord.

After yesterday, I just didn't think I had anything to say. I seemed all dried out. I felt "blogged down," and didn't expect to write anything today. I thought wrong.

I love you, Allen, and pray for God's blessings on you as you begin this wonderful time of your life. Your dad is proud of you.

2 comments:

Garry Brantley said...

Greg, thanks. You've had tremendous positive influence on Allen's life. His experience with LifeSong helped him develop his vocal abilities. Carol and I give all glory to God, but credit LifeSong for his receiving a full tuition scholarship to OC as part of New Reign. Carol and I deeply appreciation your great influence on his life.

John Owens said...

Allen is such a special young man. Thank you for letting me "borrow" him from time to time. His heart and his gifts for worship have been an influence on me. Thank for this post, Garry.