Saturday, October 01, 2005

The Woman; My Daughter

Last Sunday, September 25, is a day that I won't soon forget. It's missions month at CrossBridge: a time we take to inform our folks of our domestic and foreign mission points. We further invite other ministries in our area to share with us how God is touching folks through their work.

On this past Sunday, The King's Ranch and Hannah Homes ministry (with whom we partner) was highlighted. In usual superb fashion, LifeSong, under Greg Miles capable direction, did an amazing job leading worship. It was one of those days when I sensed the presence of God in a very special way. Barry Battles, founder of Coming Soon Productions, put together a very moving 7 minute video depicting the great impact that the King's Ranch and Hannah Home are having in ministering to women and children who are victims of abuse.

What touched me the most was a dramatic presentation--from a contemporary perspective--of the woman at the well. The young woman dressed in a flannel shirt, jeans, and worn sneakers. Her presentation of this story was absolutely astounding. I'd read and preached from this story many times. Sunday was the first time that I really heard it. The woman was a Samaritan, with a checkered past and equally questionable present. Despite these things, Jesus reaches out to her, and she becomes an evangelist for the Samaritan village. The way the actress presented her response to Jesus' compassion and grace moved me--and many others--to tears. When she ended her soliloquy by singing passionately the first verse of Amazing Grace. Whew!

This young lady demonstrated how powerfully God can use drama to touch hearts. I was completely impressed with her interpretation and presentation of this story. Oh, did I mention that the actress was my oldest daughter, Amber? Yeah. I'm a blessed Dad.

Amber is receiving a double major (theatre and mass communication) from the University of Montevallo. She has an amazing voice and is an accomplished on stage actress. I pray that through Christian women and men the arts will be redeemed and used to present the good news of Jesus to the emerging generation. Thanks to Amber for touching my heart all over again with the grace of Jesus.

3 comments:

believingthomas said...

Thanks for sharing that. I was teaching/complaining to the college class here Sunday that artistic gifts are reduced to "you can do a bulletin board".

Anonymous said...

Wish i could have been there, it has been so many years since I have seen Amber. The last time was in Byron Ga when You and me were siting down and enjoying a cup of coffee that had been sitting on the stove for 2 months. I know you have to be very proud! Daaweed!!

Garry Brantley said...

Daweed! So good to hear from you via this blogsite. For everyone's benefit, this was my name for David, a good friend and brother in Georia. We always had a blast together, boasting about which of us could drink the strongest coffee. I miss you, brother. Wish I had your email address so I could touch base with you. I love you in the Lord.