Wednesday, October 12, 2005

Into the Pit...Again

Tomorrow is a big day. My youngest daughter, Miranda, and I will fly out of Birmingham to Phoenix, Arizona. There, we will meet my sister and her husband and drive to the Grand Canyon where my mom and dad await us. This is the third consecutive year that I've gone to the Grand Canyon for the grueling trek to the river and back in one day...and I can't wait to go!

I'm especially looking forward to spending some time with my daughter. She's never flown before, so she's excited, and a little nervous. This shared experience together will create many opportunities for great conversation in years to come. She's such a wonderful daughter!

The "pit," is a favorite psalmist metaphor for inward turmoil created by difficult circumstances. This was a place from which the psalmists would cry out to Yahweh for deliverance. I've been in that pit many times, and it's not a good place to be.

The pit into which I will descend with my daughter is one that I look foward to experiencing again. This descent is marked by geographical upheavals that demonstrate the power of God. For me, it's a deeply spiritual experience.

While the psalmist would cry "out of the pit" for deliverence, this amazing pit summons praise to Him from deep within my soul. I'm reminded of His power, mercy and grace everytime of experience this amazing place. I, therefore, look forward to descending into the pit again.

Thanks so much to CrossBridge for allowing me such time of intense spiritual renewal. I will miss this family of God this Sunday.

No comments: