Monday, August 01, 2005

The Wilderness: A Place of Refocusing

I haven’t posted a blog in quite some time. While I could blame this blogging lacuna on mere lack of creativity, I know there was a deeper reason for it. I simply haven’t had the spiritual energy to produce much worth reading—as if I ever have!

The past several months have been particularly difficult on me. The death of my beloved father-in-law in March, along with a number of staffing issues over the past several months have left we bewildered, wondering about my own ministerial focus. For several months, I’ve been in the wilderness and have felt the hot breath of the lion that constantly prowls around seeking whom he may destroy. Some of you know what I mean.

These have been painful, confusing, and frustrating days. In this process, however, I’ve discovered several things. First, time in the wilderness, while frightening and frustrating, is an essential part of our spiritual formation. Strangely, immediately after God issued His divine pronouncement of approval at Jesus baptism, the Holy Spirit led Jesus into the wilderness to be tempted. Now, please don’t misunderstand. I am not attempting to equate my, or anyone’s, ministry with Jesus’ mission. At the same time, this story says something about the essential tutorial nature of wilderness moments. These lonely times force us to face the reality of our human weakness, and to clarify our ultimate allegiance. Will we follow our own pursuits or will we seek God’s will above our own?

Second, I’ve learned how easy it is to allow peripheral issues to distract us from kingdom business. Satan has the uncanny ability to use our concept of church to his own, devastating advantage. The American church seems to struggle with a collective hubris fueled by our consumerist culture. When we infect church with our consumerist mentality, the body of Christ is reduced to a Christian corporation whose purpose is to serve its patrons. Rather than increasing the kingdom of God, this mentality causes us to focus on keeping the Christian customers pleased so they will continue to patronize us. Satan has a hay day with this. Ministers who desire to preach the good news, and see souls save become disenchanted as they are forced to become managers of our Christian malls.

Finally, I’ve also learned that most Christians are equally dissatisfied with the status quo. Over the past few weeks, God has demonstrated that the people at CrossBridge are searching for ways to serve others in substantive ways. Rather than bemoaning the state of the church, God is calling bold leaders to invite others to travel in the way of the cross. I am grateful that God has, and is bringing, new focus, not only to me personally, but to the CrossBridge church collectively. I await with great anticipation the new thing God is birthing among us…and to see it come to maturity.

I’m so blessed to be in this community of faith whose heart stands poised in the direction of the fatherless, widows, and strangers in our world.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

amen
dustin

Jan K said...

Garry,
I agree about the Wandering in the Wilderness. In fact I have come to believe if we can't feel the heat of the lion's breath, then we are probably not doing all we can for God. It is only when we are truly focused on serving God by laying down our own agenda and finding his that the lion cares to pursue us.
Wresting with the angel is part of it too. It is hard to accept the path we are asked to walk at some times and it is truly a struggle with ourselves to keep going.
Not too long ago I wanted to blog and I couldn't decide if I wanted to title it "A voice Crying out in the Wilderness" or "Wresting the Angel". So of course I opted for something silly.
My question of the week. Who are the fatherless?
Jan

believingthomas said...

glad to have you back. I hope that things become less difficult for you soon.

Brad said...

Hey broham,

No truer words were written. I can identify completely. I am sorry you have been in the wilderness, but I know you have redeemed the time. I am glad to have you back and sharing your struggle.

Praying for you (pray for me too).

Broham

Donna G said...

It is amazing what the "wilderness" does for our faith.

I just wanted you to know what a blessing it was to worship with you all on Sunday. I hope you get back to blogging' regularly.

Donna