Tuesday, November 23, 2004

Coming Together

This past Sunday (November 21), CrossBridge participated in a community-wide Thanksgiving Service. Several different churches came together to express our thanksgiving to God for His unspeakable gift.

The New Hope Church (A Cumberland Presbyterian fellowship), under the leadership of Donny Acton, hosted the event. Along with the praise band at New Hope, Donny and his wife led us in some powerful praise and worship, centering on the grace that is ours in Christ Jesus. Clark Skelton, pastor of Indian Springs Baptist Church, guided the assembly in a period of testimonials. Church leaders from other churches read scripture, led in prayer, and spoke words of blessing. I was given the honor, and responsibility, of speaking on this occasion. Whether the message was any good, other, more objective folks will need to judge, but I sensed a sweet, accepting atmosphere in that place.

After the service, the New Hope church provided refreshments. I talked to so many people from different Christian churches that I've forgotten all the "flavors" I was able to sample. One thing, however, stood out. There was a sincere love for God and one another in that room. For the first time, I really sensed what God is doing throughout His kingdom. Barriers are being broken down. Jesus is being exalted. And, God's people are coming together.

"I pray that they all may be one, as you, Father, are in me, and I in you; that they also may be one in us, that the world may believe that you sent me." May we all work to answer this prayer of God!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello my dear friend and brother,
It is with sadness in my heart that I witness your movement toward the 'open fellowship' being advocated by so many in the church. True oneness in Christ does not come by a joint particpation with those who propagate error in their teachings. The Disciples of Christ's denomination should have taught us all a lesson but it seems that we are repeating that which divided us over 100 years ago. My love in Jesus, RE

Anonymous said...

The Thanksgiving service was a blessing. So glad we could be a part of it. In our world where we are increasingly being exposed to people who do not profess Jesus as the Christ, Christians must stand together as a statement of faith for all the world to see. Maybe we can host the gathering next year. Carol