Monday, October 25, 2004

Back from the Pit

No, this isn't a blog about a recent spiritual struggle from which God rescued me in psalmist fashion. Last weekend Zach, my 13 year old son, and I traveled to the Grand Canyon for what appears to be becoming an annual pilgrimage for the Brantleys. We met up with my mom and dad, and sister and brother-in-law at this historic site. Everyone but my mom (she has the brains in the family) set out to hike down the South Kaibab trail to the river and out via the Bright Angel trail in, once again, one day (yes, there are reasons why signs warn folks from attempting this).

We started down the South Kaibab trail at 5:55 a.m. and dragged ourselves out of the canyon at 7:30 p.m.--it was a pretty long day, but well worth it.

Last year, we went down to the Colorado river and back via exclusively the Bright Angel trail. While it provides some great views of the Canyon, it doesn't compare to the South Kaibab trail in this regard. Unlike the Bright Angel trail which follows a fault line down into the canyon, the South Kaibab follows a ridge line, offering spectacular views.

Zach and I had a great time together. Standing on a precipice with him, looking into this magnificent wonder of nature, you sense a bond of mutual experience that is inexplicable. You know that you are in the presence of something large, mysterious, powerful. I'm glad that my son and I could share this experience together. We have stories that we forever will tell.

I'm attempting to upload some pictures taken of our trip. I hope I'm successful. If not, it's great to be back from the pit...though priorities become much clearer when your at the bottom with those whom you love. I think I'll blog about that in the future.

2 comments:

Donna G said...

Garry, I enjoyed your lesson Sunday as well during our visit. I think I liked the Grand Canyon story you told in person better though. I just love a minister who will be real and say "I was ticked".

We truly enjoyed worshipping with you all at Crossbridge.

Donna

Anonymous said...

Garry, I am especially glad that you and Zach survived your experience in the canyon, and the experience of trying to fly home. Thank you for not letting Zach fall off one of those breath-taking cliffs! Can't wait till Miranda is old enough to make the hike so we can all go. If you do post any pictures, make sure you give Zach the photo credits since he does pretty well at keeping his fingers off of the lens, unlike some people we know and love! Love you, Carol