Thursday, July 15, 2004

Volleyball Theology
 
Once again, I've been playing on a recreational coed volleyball league this season. Our team consists of women and men from CrossBridge. So far, we've won a few and lost just as many. But, we've had a blast--at least I have. Those with a more serious competitive--and capable--edge might not be happy with our season. It's been fun, though, as a minister to get to know my fellow CrossBridgians in this different context.
 
I've learned a few things from this whole ordeal. One person simply cannot do very well. There's too much ground, er, wood to cover. It's also true that whatever happens to one person, happens to them all. While I might have played a stellar game (only in my dreams), if we are beaten, everyone is beaten. Contrarily, even when I play my typical error-ridden game, I get to experience the thrill of victory when that occurs.
 
While these are great lessons for the church, I stumbled across a most important theological reality during last week's game. Typically, a game is lost or won based upon how well a team serves. "If anyone wants to be great, let him be the servant of all. For the Son of Man came not to be served, but to serve, and give his life as a ransom for many." Greatness through one's service is true not only of individuals (or volleyball teams) but of churches as well. It's probably time that we heed this basic call, becoming salt and light to our increasing bland and dark society.

No comments: