Thursday, February 26, 2004

The Passion of the Christ

I just returned from experiencing the Passion of the Christ, the film by Mel Gibson. This is much more than a film. Typical movies are about the susension of disbelief. The only disbelief to suspend in this film is the extent to which Jesus loved--and suffered--for (and because of) all of us--Jew and Gentile. The movie makes the point, in excruciating detail, how far God's love compelled Him on our behalf; something that's just hard to believe...but so true!

If you're anything like me, I nearly run out of the theater after most movies--trying to get ahead of the crowd to the bathroom. This was eerily different. It was as if an invisible hand held the audience in their seats after the movie was over. No one moved. Sniffles and sobs could be heard throughout the audience. I was literally numb.

I was just faced with the sickening reality that Jesus clung to His cross because of my sin. This film wasn't about blaming any one group of people for the death of Jesus. The blame was placed squarely on the shoulders of all humanity, since Jesus took the stripes for, and experienced the ignobility of, death for each of us. It blamed us all.

But the film ultimately wasn't about blame. It was about divine love. It was about forgiveness. It was about the worth that God places on all us fallen humans--Jew and Gentile. It was about the God of the universe facing Satan as a vulerable human being and embracing all that it meant to be human. He refused not to die. He refused to die before His passion was completely experienced.

As I write these words with my cheeks still stinging from the tears that flowed down my cheeks, I couldn't help but think about my Christian life. How I'm often more concerned about my creature comforts than carrying a cross. Forgive me Jesus! It further placed all the current wrangling over how to do church in proper perspective. It's time for God's people to hit their knees before the crucified One. There, in all it's tragic glory, will we learn what it truly means to be a community of the cross.

The film is brutal. It's graphic. From my studies, it's all too consistent with the Roman form of flogging and subsequent crucifixion. I know that, from this point forward, the words "And they crucified him there," will take on new meaning.

I don't know how to recommend this movie. Not sure where the age cut-off should be. But, I think it's a film that needs to be experienced...especially in these times.

No comments: